Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hump day post #1

Okay, so i am trying out a new thing. Every "hump day", i am going to dedicate my blog post to things i find intriguing/ interesting. These posts may or may not be fashion related...But don't yell at me if they're not, because I may have other interesting things that i wish to share with you. So here you have it, my first "hump day" post for you. I hope you enjoy the new Wednesday ritual. PS- Happy hump day.


A strange message found on sidewalks.


The Toynbee tiles are something i find absolutely fascinating. I first became aware of them last year, and ever since i have wanted to do more, and more research. However, it is very hard to find out information, because quite simply there isn't a great deal.

The Toynbee Titles are cryptic messages found embedded in asphalt in various cities across the United States including Washington DC, Pittsburgh, New York City, Baltimore, Boston, and many more. Some have even shown up in South American countries such as Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. To date, about 130 tiles have been discovered. Somehow, someone is managing to embed these tiles into public roads (some of which are busy 24/7). How they did this without being spotted is beyond me. The messages are believed to be layers of linoleum and asphalt crack-filling compound and they are generally about the size of an American license plate. They are applied to concrete via the heat of the sun and the pressure of car tires, which will eventually wear away reveal their message. I find it so mysterious that no one knows the origin of these tiles or the identity of the artist. It's so frustrating, knowing we will never know. The Toynbee tiles are the biggest guerrilla art movement of our time. It's older than Banksy and has remained unsolved for nearly three decades. The Toynbee Tiles mystery thrives on its own, inspiring speculation and interpretation to this day. And who knows...This may have been the artist's intention. I don't think anyone is ever going to get to the bottom of it.

 I hope the strangeness of this made your day more interesting.

Ally
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! Thanks so much for following! If you drop me a line be sure to leave your url and I'll come and check your blog out! :-) X